Monday, June 27, 2011

Milford Sound Facts

From Wikipedia:

Milford Sound runs 15 kilometres inland from the Tasman Sea at Dale Point - the mouth of the fiord - and is surrounded by sheer rock faces that rise 1,200 metres (3,900 ft) or more on either side.




Lush rain forests cling precariously to these cliffs, while seals, penguins, and dolphins frequent the waters and whales can be seen sometimes.



The rainfall creates dozens of temporary waterfalls (as well as a number of major, more permanent ones) cascading down the cliff faces, some reaching a thousand metres in length. Smaller falls from such heights may never reach the bottom of the sound, drifting away in the wind.



Not (too) related to Milford Sound: Ben Folds covering "Such Great Heights."




2 comments:

  1. The photos are amazing! I love the waterfalls!
    I'm Maria from Ladies who critique, I wanted to stop in and say hi. Cant wait to see if you post some of your fiction writings.

    Maria A W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria!

    I just started grad school not too long ago, so I'm not sure when and how I'll be able to post fiction; there were plans to put up a writing-related blog, but I felt that the travel blog was easier to deal with right now. Hope to hear more from everyone soon!

    ReplyDelete